This was the fifth meeting of private school librarians (PK-12), from different municipalities (Guaynabo, San Juan, Bayamón, Ponce, Humacao):
-Caribbean Preparatory Schools-
-Saint John's School
-Las Palmas Academy
-Academia Sagrado Corazón
-Academia del Perpetuo Socorro
-Colegio Puertorriqueño de Niñas
-Colegio Sagrado Corazón de Jesús
-Academia Discípulos de Cristo
-American Military Academy
The aim is to get together as a group whose main objectives are:
· Share resources through consortiums, interlibrary loan and professional development within our area of expertise.
· To have a solid representation of our group within the major associations in the island such as:ABESPRI(Asociacion de Bibliotecas Escolares de Puerto Rico, ACURIL(Association of Caribbean Universities,Research, and Institutional Libraries),( SBPPR(Sociedad de Bibliotecarios de Puerto Rico), IFLA(International Federation of Libraries Association, AEPPR(Asociación de Escuelas Privadas de Puerto Rico), REFORMA.
· Awareness campaign of the importance of the library in the overall performance of the school.
· Creation of a blog , a directory and a network.
· Establish a calendar for meetings at least four times a year.
Each time we meet is in a different library and the librarian of the school is the hostess and moderator.
It was the first time that so many schools from different private sectors attended and the agenda for getting organized was completed.
· A calendar was designed for four meetings (full day.) A half day for organizational purpose s(meetings, committee reports, follow-up of strategies, etc.) and in the afternoon , professional development. The dates are:
· Friday, December 12, 2008- 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. -Academia Sagrado Corazón en Santurce
· Friday, March 13, 2009- 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Saint John's School
· Friday, May 22,2009 de 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. American Military Academy
· A blog was created. http://biblioescolarprivadaspr.blogspot.com
· Contacts for library vendors were assigned in order to look for better prices in databases.
· Consensus for strategies pertaining our main objectives was fulfilled.